I’ve been working towards re-running the Sydney experiment with 2.3 kA of current through the coils. This required completely re-arranging the pieces of the experiment.
A big change was moving the langmuir probe to the same flange as the coils for better alignment.
It holds a ceramic tube like so:
Now the probe is always nicely centered:
I cut down the electron gun for the new arrangement:
I made new ceramic standoffs because the previous ones were poorly crafted. These ones turned out nicely:
Here you can see the electron gun on the left and coils in the center:
I buttoned everything up:
I got the vacuum down to 1.1 millitorr. Not great, but good enough for this experiment.
Tomorrow I will wire up the electrical and run the sydney experiment at full power.