Ready for Next Run

17 10 2011

All photos.

I’ve been working towards re-running the Sydney experiment with 2.3 kA of current through the coils. This required completely re-arranging the pieces of the experiment.

A big change was moving the langmuir probe to the same flange as the coils for better alignment.

I’ve been waiting for two weeks for this part from shapeways (thingaverse). It’s a new holder for the langmuir probe:

It holds a ceramic tube like so:

Now the probe is always nicely centered:

I cut down the electron gun for the new arrangement:

I made new ceramic standoffs because the previous ones were poorly crafted. These ones turned out nicely:

Here you can see the electron gun on the left and coils in the center:

I buttoned everything up:

I got the vacuum down to 1.1 millitorr. Not great, but good enough for this experiment.

Tomorrow I will wire up the electrical and run the sydney experiment at full power.

Advertisements







%d bloggers like this: