Progress Update

21 07 2009

Deez has returned from a trip to the Dominican Republic for a wedding and solo hike. Sounds like he had an amazing time.  Parts arrived and we made progress today. We cut the ceramic tube on a neighbor’s wet saw:

IMG_3785

IMG_3788

We tested out the collar clamp. Seems to work. Feels mechanically solid and tightly clamped metal should have good electrical conductivity.IMG_3783

Here is the assembled core connected to feedthrough. Really amazing how many tiny and challenging steps this takes:

IMG_3799

The cable for the power supply arrived. I had to cut it down by 5 inches to make it fit mechanically with this unit. Then you stick a brass tack into the conductor. It pushes against a spring loaded contact in the Glassman unit. This cable is essentially a high voltage co-axle cable. The exterior shielding of the cable is grounded to the chassis, and forms a Faraday Cage around the inner high voltage. It appears the cable is long enough to go right into the fusor. IMG_3793

We poked into the RGA unit again, and found we bought the wrong swageloc end cap. We still haven’t found the correct swagelock yet. A separate post on this topic later.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: