When I started this project 3 years ago, one of the first things I did was build a reprap. Sadly the state of the art just wasn’t there yet. I assembled the reprap, but it never worked well enough to print.
Since then I’ve been following the impressive progress of the reprap and then MakerBot. All along I’ve been using 3D printing services like shapeways, with a 2 week turn around. That’s a painfully long time to wait only to discover your design doesn’t work.
So I have purchased the latest Makerbot Thing-O-Matic with MK7 extruder. It should arrive in 4 weeks. Can’t wait!
Along the way I discovered OpenSCAD, an open source solid modeling program for programmers. I like it. It’s easier than the ruby + BRL-CAD I’ve been using. Additionally there is broad community support.
I’m rebuilding my polywell models in OpenSCAD now. I’ve gotten this far: