Tonight I really experienced the power of the coil power supply. Whoa.
I’ve been working to increase the coil current from ~1.2kA to ~2.5kA.
Previously I discovered the coil discharge path had more DC resistance than expected.
I rewound the Polywell coils with 16 gauge wire (previously 18 gauge).
The 16 gauge DC resistance is 144 mΩ compared to 227 mΩ for 18 gauge wire.
I beefed up other wires on the coil discharge path (4 gauge):
Lets test the wiring with the dummy coil:
I took the power supply up to 100V… a small test charge…
When I fired, the noise from the coil made me flinch. It was never that loud before.
Lets turn up the power!
300V for second test.
When I fired the coil there was lightning! HOLY CRAP. Look what happened:
The coil fucking wrapped itself around the transformer (electromagnetic forming). Then it discharged to ground:
So I haven’t measured it yet, but I think we are getting more current to the coils.